German guitarist Rolf Munkes is involved in some interesting projects you should know: solo albums, a new super-group featuring very good musicians such as Lance King or Anders Johansson, he´s also the guitar player for Vanize... As you can see there´s a bunch of stories around this guy and now you can know them all by reading this interview!
- Can you make a brief story of your musical career for those that still
haven´t heard you?
- In your first Cd, "No More Obscurity", you have worked together with
great and well known musicians such as Anders Johansson
(ex-Malmsteen/Hammerfall) & Lance King (Balance of Power), Why these guys &
how did you contacted them?
- Have you already planned a tour?
- Now you´re working on a new CD with Lance King, Mark Boals, Anders
Johansson and Neil Murray, How is it going?
- You also play the guitar in Vanize, How came this all about? How are
things going for the band?
I think, it's a fresh and powerful sound with a lot of different musicians and all their experience. That makes it a wonderful and varied album. About the different projects I can say, that this is great for me. I like to be involved in two, three things. From each you can put power, experience and freshness into the other. It never gets boring. And everything has something, that the other project does not have. That's amazing!! It inspires me.
- What do you think about the changing style of some Metal guitarists, you
know...with those extremely "personal" and strange albums...
I don't know, if I got your question right, but everybody is free to play what he wants. The guilty people are the big labels and producers. They try to sell everything, no matter how good or bad it is. If you tell to a 16 year old teenie he/she is an amazing guitarist. He/she will believe it. Who is responsible?
- Now the unavoidable question... What are the main influences for you, and
your favorite bands/musicians...
- Did you come to Spain with Vanize in the UDO tour? If yes, What is your
opinion about our country?
- Let´s talk about instrumental albums, Don´t you think they can be quite
boring for the general audience? I mean, there´s no voice, so no choruses
to sing along...
- OK, We have got to the end, Is there a final statement you want to say?